Riga 700 exhibition city reconstruction
At the start of the 20th century many cities were showing increased interest in their history. For the Riga 700 year celebration exhibition, this interest materialized as a hypothetical reconstruction of its medieval architecture made from wood and plaster. It was located by the city canal, next to today's Congress hall.
Project author was Riga city architect August Reinberg with help of Vilheim Neiman and artist Ernest Tode. It was based on 16th - 18th century medieval engravings and the artwork of Johann Christoph Brotze. Project construction started on the spring of 1901 and was completed in a few months, next to reconstruction of little Venice.
The city consisted of a city hall and square, a column of shame, working well, weight house and a group of residential buildings that were encircled by fortification walls and five towers. The buildings were filled with various shops and restaurants.
The life of this medieval city was short lived as it was demolished soon after the end of the exhibition. Testimony of its presence remains in its project illustrations, post cards and photos.